Saturday, May 1, 2010

Phungo 5 with Sports Locker

The Phils are spending this beautiful, summer-like, weekend hosting the NL East leading New York Mets. Representing the Mets on the Hot Seat is the always informative Sports Locker. In addition to updating on the Mets, Sports Locker is always good about providing hobby related tidbits and commentary with a fresh perspective.

1) How have your plans for the National been shaping up?
I'm actually not sure I'm going this year. I like talking about it and the idea of it, but I'm not sure it's the best thing for collectors any more. Reg. admission is almost $20, plus the parking fee add up to around $30 a day just to walk in the door. TriStar also keeps rolling out the same autograph guests at each show. I'd like to see admission prices cut in half, door prizes, more of a show for the opening, card company product presentations and some collector/hobby presentations like: spotting fake autographs, fake patches and competitions. Lets do some fun stuff with instead of charging $20 for rows of tables to look through. Just my 2 cents.

2)
You attend a lot of autograph and card shows, are there any dealers who you try to buy from consistently?
I recognize more faces than names. It's great to see the same people at shows and catch-up with them. Some of the people I talk to are dealers and a lot are fellow collectors.


3) Your a Cowboy and a Mets fans (this would make you very detested locally btw) - if you could add a Cowboy to the Mets Roster who would it be and what position would he play?
I'm a Cowboy fan because of my grandfather. He was born/raised in Louisiana and I spent a lot of time with him as a kid. He didn't like baseball, so when I lived in NJ I started following the Mets. Our family favorite Cowboys player is Bradie James. He's a gamer and the Flushing crowd loves that. He's probably too big for infield - so I'd say corner OF for him.

4)
What is the favorite Road food when traveling to all the card and autograph shows that you attend?

I'm a cliff bar fan. I eat a ton of those things. Easy to pack, easy to throw in a backpack and you don't have to worry about finding something disgusting to eat at the food court.

5) Where does the Snuggie go from here?
I've cooled on the TV sales since my favorite BMays passed away. I'm a marketing guy, so if I were marketing the snuggie - I'd like to push for custom imaged snuggies. Submit your photo and get it screened on there.
2010 Topps #249 John Niese

Phungo 5 Box Score
Despite what the Hated Mets did to the Phils last night behind a strong pitching effort from John Niese and an impressive hitting attack, I will need to hand out a 5 of 5. I am not sure I am looking forward to seeing the custom Snuggie, but I am sure it's day will come.

Looking Back
If you want to look back at a prior Phungo 5 with A Giant Blog click here.

2 comments:

Matt Runyon said...

I like his ideas about the National

James said...

Thanks for the Phungo phive phun. Look forward to hearing your National review.

a thousand words

a thousand words
2008 World Champions