Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Snapshots 2012 03 06 - Hockey HoF Mark Howe #2 Jersey Retired by the Philadelphia Flyers

On Tuesday night the Philadelphia Flyers Retired Mark Howe's #2 Jersey.
Snapshots
 

Gordie, Marty and Mark Howe's Jerseys from the Houston Aeros

#2 painted on the ice at Wells Fargo Center




Mark Howe Banner raised to the rafters. 


I don't believe I have ever been to a jersey retirement ceremony - The Flyers always do a great job with these types of events and I was glad to be on hand for the event.  If you're unfamiliar with Mark Howe's accomplishments here is his Hockey-Reference Page.  His career is very impressive - If you include his WHA plus/minus with his career numbers he would be third all time - and actually rank AHEAD of Wayne Gretzky. 

Mark Howe's father, Gordie Howe, was also present for the ceremony.  It was worth the price of admission just to see Mr Hockey walk out onto the ice. 

As far as the game goes the Flyers got themselves a Good W beating a tough Red Wings squad 3-2. 

2 comments:

Jim from Downingtown said...

I saw the whole ceremony on TV.

Is that the new style "retirement banner" or will it be replaced with one just like the other 4?

deal said...

I think it is a new design, I am torn. I like having a picture on there, but I think the tradition number only is classic.

a thousand words

a thousand words
2008 World Champions