Sunday, June 20, 2010

Phungo 5 with Rhubarb Runner

Today the Phils host the Minnesota Twins in the rubber match of their three game Series. To give us some insight on the AL Central Division leaders today we have Rhubarb Runner of é rayhahn, rayhahn.


How has playing at Target Field affected the Twins?
The Twins have drawn well the past few years (good teams will do that), but obviously the new, beautiful ballpark has been bringing in the fans big-time. A big question in the media was how would the ballpark play for HRs? One of our regulars at WGOM did a three part study (it was even referenced at the Wall Street Journal, and although the footprint is similar to the Metrodome, the temperature/humidity/wind was expected to keep HRs down in all but the hot days of mid-summer, and that has shown to be true. Twins are fielding just as well now that they're off turf, but we have one of the more generous official scorers.

Which Twins pitcher are you looking forward to watching bat? Heh - good question! Been a while since Johan swung his hot bat for the Twins...I'm going to say Kevin Slowey. He's my favorite of the starters, and there's no reason "Slowtime" can't have a little luck at the plate. I was wanting to add #59 and a slow moving vehicle sign to the back of my Twins uni shirt, but haven't pulled the trigger on that yet.

2010 06 19 Kevin Slowey - check it out no batting gloves.


How did you acquire so many Oddball cards?
Back when I lived in Los Angeles during the dark days of the Junk Wax Era, I used to pick up a lot of stuff that had Twins in them -- Toys 'R Us box sets, baseball card magazine insert pages (back when Beckett wasn't the monopoly and MLB Licensing didn't crack down on it), cereal/string cheese/Crackerjack/etc. food issues -- you name it. I didn't know many other team collectors, so never had much opportunity to trade the non-Twins. Nice to finally see them begin to find good homes now, though, thanks to the great internet neighborhood of collectors out there.

Do Pre-Twins Washington Senators Cards have much appeal for you?
You know, the pre-1961 Washington Senators have a LOT of appeal to me, but I just don't collect them. There are so many Twins cards - I have to draw a line somewhere, so I don't pursue the Senators cards, nor to I collect minor league cards (unless they say specifically "Minnesota Twins" on them). On a related note, I really wish the Twins organization gave their Senators history more acknowledgement. My God, guys like Walter Johnson, Sam Rice...they deserve some team recognition SOMEWHERE, and it shouldn't be the Nationals.

Phungo Note - Last year we found out from our friends at Texas Rangers Cards that the Rangers own the rights to the Senators Name, Colors, and Brand. This surely impacts the ability to market the connection in the Twin Cities.

What is the best dish featuring Rhubarb?
Oh my gosh, they're ALL good. I love a good rhubarb crisp, but I've had delicious rhubarb ice cream, Amish rhubarb/cherry jam...mmm, rhubarb! Now you have me really looking forward to the trip nort' this summer to the "hometown" county fair.

Phungo Box Score
4 out of 5 - I have actually had an aversion to Rhubarb since I was a kid - my father was a big fan and I never got the attractions. As an adult - I have had a few things and while my tastes have developed, Rhubarb has not become a favorite.

I may also be a bit upset at press time, as I attended yesterday game where the Twins came from 5 runs down in the 9th to beat the Phils. I know it's a knee-jerk reaction, but it's my blog my rules - 4 out of 5.

Game Photos

I was at the first two games of the Phils Twins series - The Slowey Photo above is from the Saturday Fox game - if you watched the game you likely saw Team Phungo in the stands. we pretty much sat directly opposite the camera that ISO'd Left-handed hitters.


2010 06 19 Jim Thome - Click to enlarge

This is Thome's Pinch Hit appearance - moments after a I took this picture Thome would send an absolute rocket into center field.

2010 06 18 Ryan Howard - Click to Enlarge

And this is the Big Man who replaced Mr Thome at first base for the Phillies. This is a BP shot from prior to Friday night's game when Howard had one of the best offensive nights I have ever witnessed (4-4, 2 HR, 3bh, 2bh, 3 RBI, 3 Runs )

Bonus Coverage

For even more coverage of the Twins @ Phils check out this post from Sport Card Info.


Looking Back

For a previous Phungo 5, click here to read our interview with Padrographs.


for a bll

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, thanks again for inviting me to play along. I will GLADLY take a 4 out of 5 in exchange for a game 2 rally like that! Nice photos, too.

Rhubarb isn't for everyone, so don't feel bad about that.

night owl said...

My grandfather, who liked EVERY food, got me to try rhubarb pie when I was a kid.

I've never had rhubarb ever again.

Anonymous said...

btw, that Thome photo would make a most excellent landscape-format phungo card (hint hint)

deal said...

yes I have an inside source that tells me that there is a chance the Thome card may be in the 2011 set.

BTW you can click on the enlarged photo and it enlarges again - the mysteries of microsoft.

a thousand words

a thousand words
2008 World Champions