This is an quick explanation of the statistical categories used for the Topps All-Star Rookie Cup Tournament.
We have set up the tournament to be run by a series of traditional dice rolls.
This means that most of out vectors/categories are 6 parts. There are other factors as well - for more info read on.
1) Rookie Cup Season vs Career Stats: We wanted to the results to reflect a combination of the players Rookie Cup Season and career numbers. Since this is about rookie cup all-stars we settled on a formula that weighted the rookie cup season at about 60% and career stats 40%.
2) Pitching vs Hitting: While Pitching is said to be 75% of the game and a good argument can be made that it is 50%. However I decided since the typical Rookie Cup team is 80% hitters we would make the batters a bigger part of the story. We settled on 60% for hitters 35% Pitchers, the remaining 5% is fielding related.
3) Statistical Categories Hitters: WAR, HR, RBI, Avg, SB, OPS+. I realize many of these categories are counting stats that may not give apple/apple comparisons but I wanted to use a combination of modern and traditional categories. You don't like it, make up your own fantasy tournament.
4) Statistical Categories Pitchers: WAR, Wins, K, ERA, WHIP, and Shutouts.
5) Not all these categories are weighted equally. WAR accounts for 30% of the statistical categories. The remaining 70% is split equally among the other 5 categories.
6) Career Gold Gloves is also a factor - this is the 5% discussed in #2 above.
7) Seeding to open the tournament is a reflection of a combination of the Season and Career WAR team totals. To mirror the formula in #1 above we used the same 60/40 season/career split.
It's a team Phungo tournament and we reserve the right to adjust formulas as necessary.